If you would like copies of Staffing Committee Agendas or Minutes, please contact the office. Please note that a small charge will be made to cover photocopying and postage, or the documents can be emailed free of charge.
Composition: Three elected members (voting), Mayor and Deputy Mayor (ex officio, voting)
Chairmanship: Chair and Vice Chair to be the Mayor and Deputy Mayor respectively
Non members: Any member of the Council is able to attend and may participate at the discretion of the Chairman, but must leave the room whenever the press and public are excluded. There will be no public participation at the meetings of the committee
Extra Terms: A member will not be eligible for nomination to the committee – or if already a member must step down – if they have been the subject of an upheld grievance or finding of a breach of the Code of Conduct by, or relating to, a member of staff during the previous 12 months.
Meetings: As and when required
Quorum: Three members
Terms of Reference & Matters Delegated to the Committee:
1. To consider such matters as may be delegated by the Council from time to time
2. The overall performance of the staff, delegating the day to day line management to the Town Clerk
3. To receive reports from the Town Clerk in respect of attendance, short and long term sickness, return to work interviews, annual leave, maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, compassionate leave, and flexible leave requirements and with delegated the powers to resolve any associated matters
4. To review and implement all employment policies in consultation with members of staff
5. To maintain the staffing levels necessary to efficiently discharge the work required by the Council and to review the workloads periodically and report any recommendations for change to the full Council
6. To oversee the recruitment process of all staff and where required, assist, when required, the Town Clerk in the recruitment of new staff
7. To undertake the recruitment of the Town Clerk with any associated expenditure and making the appointment.
8. To review job descriptions, person specifications, staff establishment (including promotion, re-grading, redundancies and fixed term contracts) and to approve contracts of employment
9. To maintain confidentiality over all staffing matters as required under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Code of Conduct
11. To deal with all matters relating to councillor/staff conduct
12. Staff Appraisals
a. To ensure that annual appraisals for all staff are carried out, agree and monitor any associated actions and outcomes
b. The annual appraisal of the Town Clerk will be undertaken by the Chair and Vice Chair of the Committee.
c. To review the appraisal of all members of staff so that they are able to oversee staff and member development including identify training opportunities and ensure that all training needs are met.
d. Any member of staff who acts as a clerk to one of the Council’s Committees will be appraised on the performance of that aspect of their duties by the Chair of that Committee.
13. To consider and implement any changes which are required to comply with legislation and Terms and Conditions of Service as laid down by the National Joint Council (Green Book) and recommended by the National Association of Local Councils and Society of Local Council Clerks
14. To receive and consider any complaints made under the Council’s Grievance and Disciplinary Procedure delegated responsibility take whatever action is deemed necessary. If felt necessary, it has the delegated approval (including financial) to seek outside professional assistance in order to conclude a disciplinary or grievance matter. Should there be insufficient members of the Launceston Town Council without prior knowledge of the matter or otherwise available to undertake any aspect of the process volunteers will be sought from the membership (or officers as appropriate) of other Town/Parish Councils.
15. All aspects of Health and Safety that fall within the remit of the committee.
16. To prepare and submit to the F & GP Committee budget proposals in respect of salaries and training for all staff not later than 30 November each year
17. Authorisation of expenditure within the committee’s budget, provided that the payment is made from a budget that is within the limits previously approved by the Council. The committee cannot commit or spend from future budgets not confirmed or from future years. The virement of funds within the committee’s total budget is permissible.